It is also referred to as contraception or anticonception
As simple as its name is, birth control prevents pregnancy. It is also referred to as contraception or anticonception. Several birth control methods are used as a measure to limit unexpected and unplanned pregnancies. The usage of birth control dates back to ancient times, as per several instances, however, the awareness around it has started a few decades before.
What are the different types of birth control methods?
Spacing methods: These methods are for those couples who might plan on having kids in future but do not have the plan currently. These methods keep the chance of pregnancy lower by remaining as a barrier. Pills, condoms, intra-uterine contraceptive devices are a few examples of this birth control method.
Permanent methods: These are irreversible birth control methods which can be used by any couple who does not want to have kids in future. Minilaparotomy where the fallopian tubes are blocked, Laparoscopy in which the fallopian tubes in the abdomen are cut or blocked and are mostly used in females to stop being pregnant forever. In males, the vas deferens, that carries sperm to penis , is cut or blocked via heat or cautery or through non-scalpel vasectomy.
Emergency Contraceptive Pill (ECP): This is commonly used to control the emergency arising out of an unplanned or unprotected intercourse. It is usually consumed within 72 hours of the intercourse.
Pregnancy Testing Kits (PTKs): It helps to detect the pregnancy early. By detecting the pregnancy as early as one week after the missed menstrual cycle, it gives ample opportunity to the couple for the termination of the pregnancy.
Facts about birth control methods for every couple
- Birth controls do not affect the sexual drive between the couple
- The intra-uterine devices are considered to be best form of birth control
- When you select a birth control you should look for proven effectiveness, reliability, side-effects and possible health risks
- Emergency contraceptive pills should never be considered as a replacement for a regular contraceptive
- One should always contact a trained professional for suggestions on contraceptives. Trained ASHAs, ANMs, LHVs, SNs and doctors can guide you through this process.
- Many reports claim, contraceptive pills can make your periods normal
- As per few research studies, oral contraceptive pills reduce the risk of cancer in women.
What is the stance of India in birth control?
In 1952, India became the first country in the world to have launched a National Programme for Family Planning. The current family planning efforts made by the Indian government include several contraceptive methods like oral contraceptive pills, condoms, intra-uterine contraceptive devices, female sterilisation, non-scalpel vasectomy, emergency contraceptive pills and pregnancy test kits.
Trained ANMs, SNs and doctors can administer these methods or can help educate couples about various birth control measures.
The government aims to reduce the country’s overall fertility rate to 2.1 by 2025.
The post Birth control methods: Facts every couple should know appeared first on Dr Dad.
Horse Show Log Book
Horse Show Log Book: Horse Riding and Halter Log Journal - Keep a Record up to 6 Judges per page - Eventing - Halter - Jumping - Equestrian