IVF, or In Vitro fertilization, is one of the common methods which is used by many couples who are not able to conceive in the normal way. Though the name IVF must be heard by many people, if you are considering the options, then you may have tons of questions about it or no clue as to what IVF is. So here are some of the most common questions about IVF.
What is IVF?
In vitro fertilization is a method of fertilization in which an egg and sperm are combined in a laboratory setting. The procedure entails tracking and promoting a woman’s ovulatory cycle, taking an ovum or ova from her ovaries, and allowing sperm to fertilize them in a laboratory culture medium.
How much does IVF cost?
– An IVF cycle might cost anywhere between Rs 2.5 lakhs and Rs 4 lakhs on average. Additional medication and testing may be required, as well as procedures like Frozen Embryo Transfer, which can drive up the price. This is the price for 1 cycle. IVF may not be successful in the first cycle, and couples may have to go through more than one cycle.
Why do we have to go through IVF?
– When the fallopian tubes are badly damaged or nonexistent, or there is unexplained or male-factor infertility, IVF is the most common reproductive treatment. In vitro fertilization is popular among couples because it allows them to conceive more rapidly and at a time that is convenient for them. It improves your chances of having a healthy pregnancy and baby.
How many stages are there in IVF?
– There are five stages in IVF, which are as follows –
Harvesting the eggs
Embryo transfer and after which you get the news whether the woman is pregnant or not.
What are the risks related to IVF?
– Some of the risks of side effects can be bruising where the injection was implanted, nausea, vomiting, allergic reactions, access vaginal discharge, and emotional ups and downs. Other than that, there are risks of multiple births, premature delivery, etc.
Is IVF a successful procedure?
– In India, the success rate of IVF is between 30 and 35 percent. In young women, the average IVF success rate is around 40% worldwide. Women under the age of 35 have a higher likelihood of success than older women.
How much time does IVF take?
– It is said that the process of IVF takes one month or less than one month; it may also go up to 6 to 8 weeks, depending on the patient.
What changes will my lifestyle need?
– You will need to change your lifestyle and leave some of your habits. So, if you smoke, drink alcohol, exercise, and take supplements, you will need to stop all of it. Also, if you have any prior medications, you may need to stop them according to what your doctor says.
If the first cycle is not successful, when can we try again?
It is recommended that the couple has to wait for at least 1 to 2 menstrual cycles. Your doctor will run tests to decide the perfect time.
If I am pregnant, will the rest of the procedure will go smoothly?
Once you are pregnant, you will go through certain tests to confirm the heartbeat of your fetus, after which you will be recommended to an obstetrician for the rest of your pregnancy.
If you have any further questions or confusion, you should consult your doctor or your gynecologist, who will guide you on the right path and what is best for you.